Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkeys, Friends, Messes, and Crazy Shoppers.

So this Thanksgiving was the first time I've actually been the one cooking...this Thanksgiving was also the first time I've cooked a turkey period.

People say if you can bake you can't cook and vice versa. I typically find my cooking fantastic, so obviously I disagreed with this statement...until yesterday.

First of all, I didn't even start cooking until 11:30. I had an order to fill the day prior and every pot and pan I owned was dirty. Me being too lazy to wash dishes by hand decided to wait for the dishwasher. I, of course, underestimated how long everything would need to cook. So while the dishwasher was running, Chloe found my camera and of course wanted me to take pictures. My little camera ham.

So after thirty minutes of silly faces and picture taking, she finally got bored with me and went to watch Barbie on TV.

I started baking the pies first, I figured if I got them out of the way it would be much faster to do everything else. My entire Thanksgiving menu consisted of: Turkey, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts, Cranberry Sauce, Stuffing, Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Cream Pie, and Cherry Cheesecake.

I finished the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, brussel sprouts, stuffing, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. Like I said, I underestimated just how long that stupid turkey would make.



And of course because Ive never made a turkey, I needed a recipe. I chose to use Alton Brown's Good Eats turkey recipe. Which would have been fantastic had I not missed one rather important step....make sure the turkey was as close to the bottom as possible. Anyone who's used this recipe knows that you have to cook the turkey on 500 for the first 30 minutes. So here is my poor turkey, sitting so close to the top of my oven its practically touching the top, getting nice and crispy for 30 minutes. When I pulled it out, what was supposed to be beautifully crispy golden brown skin was so dark it was almost black. That's when I look back at the recipe and realize it said to put it on the bottom. Oops.

Thankfully that was my only mishap, except for the fact that I only finished half the menu and we ate an hour later than planned. I think it was pretty fortunate I didn't finish everything on the menu though...I have more leftovers than I know what to do with.

This was the first year Chloe really got to experience thanksgiving though. She hates turkey apparently, but she has this weird habit of mixing cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes together. I personally think its gross, but she seemed to enjoy it. Her pants are permanently this purplish red color though...guess its time to get rid of those. I also believe our bathtub has a faint ring around it in the exact same shade...maybe I should just paint the whole bathtub that color, it may be easier than cleaning it.

She enjoyed herself though, which is what I had hoped for.

I was ALMOST daring enough to go out shopping last night...I decided against it. Smart move probably. But we did go shopping this morning, at 10am Target was STILL packed. On the plus side they had one more of the T-Fal 20pc cooking sets and it is now mine YAY! My whole purpose for going shopping was fulfilled. We also bought new silverware, new pants for chloe....and yeah thats about it.

I never thought I would be so excited about new cookware and flatware!

Anyway after trying to fight the crowd we decided we were NOT going anywhere else and did our own thing for the rest of the day.

So the holidays are over for another few weeks, back to normal life I go. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment